Our goal is to provide information, ideas and support for working women who are also full-time mothers.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Saying No to Travel

When I joined my company 7 years ago I made it clear to my boss that my plans included having a family so putting me in a position of heavy travel would be a waste of time, so the various positions I've held over the years are always the ones that don't involve travel. I'm sure that were I willing to travel I could have grown much more in my job, could have contributed more to the company and been making more money. But I knew before they were even conceived that I wouldn't want to leave my kids on a regular basis for work. With my husband in the construction business he is at work before daycare is ever open, which means if I travel I have to find someone to take the kids, out of their home and enviroment, for however long I have to be gone. That's not fair to them. I've traveled once for business since having children, and while I will do it if necessary, I have chosen not to take a position within my company where it is a frequent requirement. And I'm at peace with that decision.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home