Our goal is to provide information, ideas and support for working women who are also full-time mothers.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

BLESSINGS IN DISGUISE

As a totally stressed-out working mother, there are days when I am exceptionally thankful that I can go into the office and escape the constant barrage of whining and sibling rivalry. But then I think…and I realize that I have just traded in the children’s antics for the world of adult complaints and competition. Cubicle life would be much more interesting if I could send a few people to the naughty spot when they behave disrespectfully, or tell them that they need to “use a nice voice” when they are whining because they “neeeeed it NOW.” OK, so maybe what I am really thankful for is that life with my children has provided me with a higher threshold for tolerating such immature behavior from my coworkers.

At the moment, there are many other things about my children for which I am grateful. I am grateful that my 18 month old ds has an adventurous spirit and, apparently, some genetic material directly linking him to a mountain goat. How else would I have learned that even the sofa can launch a weapon of mass destruction when it propels a toddler toward the entertainment center? Or that it takes precisely one rolling toy with a toddler perched atop of it to give me the ability to leap over a mountain of books, blocks, and dolls in a single bound to prevent the head injury that is the inevitable result of the rolling toy’s being set in motion.
I am grateful that, at three years old, my daughter is rapidly developing an independent spirit. She knows what she wants and will go to all lengths in an attempt to secure her position….by taking her brother hostage and threatening to hug him around the neck until he slips into unconsciousness, or simply torturing anyone within 20 yards with an ear-piercing shrill that I firmly believe seeks out the spinal cord, travels up toward the brain, and damages the neurons that control patience and resolve. Thankfully, I have developed superior negotiating skills (or, more accurately, the ability to demand immediate release of my son) and a defense mechanism which allows me to selectively block out the frequency and volume of the sound waves she emits when she transforms into a banshee.

There are so many things for which I am truly thankful. I am thankful for the days that I can appreciate the challenges offered by my kids and retain a sense of humor. I am grateful that I can provide them all the nurturing and love they need while demonstrating to them the satisfaction of using my intellect and skills to have a successful career. Most of all, I am thankful that I am a mother – it is truly the greatest gift I have ever received and one that I will certainly cherish forever.

--Kathy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home