Our goal is to provide information, ideas and support for working women who are also full-time mothers.

Monday, March 19, 2007

I have to have it!

When I was pregnant with my first child, I had a long laundry list of items that were "must haves." This according to the magazines, friends, and fancy advertising to catch naive eyes like mine. We had all the newest and finest accessories. We were set--we just knew our baby was going to be so happy with all of these things!!!

Wrong.

The only thing that was actually worth the $100 was the Baby Bjorn. It was a lifesaver with my daughter. As an infant, she was colicky, and not happy unless she was being held. So the Bjorn is the only thing that gave my arms a break. And, daddy could wear it, too. She hated the swing, took a long time to warm up to the bouncy seat (and then quickly outgrew it), and used her exersaucer for maybe 3 months because she was an early walker.

When my son came along, we were veterans and knew not to buy into all of those gimmicks again. Sort of. We did need to buy some new things, since we had passed a few of our older things onto friends. It was hard to resist the temptation to buy all brand new stuff, because man things had changed in just 2 short years! My one sadness was the loss of our Bjorn. It had literally been lost and we don't know where. But finances were tight and we couldn't see spending another $100. So I spent $15 on a cheaper version. And guess what? It worked just as well as the Bjorn and our son loved it. Go figure.

Other things that were handy but not quite so valuable would include the booster seat/high chair, the travel swing that my son liked much better than the large contraption bought for our daugter, and our small co-sleeper bed that both kids used for the first few months of life. Beyond that the best thing anyone ever gave us was diapers!!! You never stop needing those. I actually requested a casserole/diaper-themed shower when pregnant with my son because I learned how important those practical gifts were after the first child.

So I guess when it comes down to it, go practical. The fancy stuff sure is appealing, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home